A Thousand Words
Ramblings and musings of an incurable photo geek.

Friday, August 5, 2011

My camera collection: The Workhorses

For years I shot weddings using 35mm film. I'd go through 40 or so rolls of 36 exposures on a wedding day, plus 6 or 8 rolls of 120 for the formals. I needed cameras that could withstand the use and abuse of these hectic shoots.

These 3 Nikon F4S camera bodies were my workhorses; 1 body carried a wide prime lens like the 35mm f1.4 while the other carried a long prime like the 85mm f1.4. The third camera was usually in the bag as a backup, except during ceremonies when it was mounted on a tripod with the 80-200mm f2.8 for the long telephoto shot.


The F4 was the last Nikon professional camera with knobs instead of buttons and an LCD display, making these bodies nearly indestructible. I ran many, many rolls of film through these and they are still in fine working order, though they have been replaced by digital bodies. I've thought about selling them, but nowadays they aren't worth very much so I've just hung onto them. Perhaps one day they'll be worth something as antiques...

No comments: